Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Grellmanns Part 1

Day 1

Mom and Dad have arrived. That evening we had dinner at the Hofbrauhaus. Both parents had a Maß (liter) of beer. They rarely drink. It proves to be a really fun evening, mom and dad are drunk, it's great! No, really, they're ok, and tipsy might be a better word. Later dad crashes on the couch. Some things are just international.



Day 2

We explore the city center. This is before Merissa and I get critical of our parents' picture taking skills and begin to bring our own cameras.


It wouldn't be complete without a trip to the Munich Google office. Thank you to Mr. Google for making this trip possible.

Day 3

We go on a walking tour of the city, shop, check out the University and briefly walk through the English Garden. Honestly this is where the days start blurring. All I know is that one day, both Nate and Merissa had to work so I had them by myself. Which is a lesson in patience. Perhaps one of our favorite stories of this day is when Merissa and I were speaking on our cells. First, a little background.

Munich is a very bike friendly city and there are designated bike paths all over the city where pedestrians are not supposed to wander. Key word here: wander. What does my father do in pursuit of the best pictures? Wander. Yes. This is one of the first things we tell visitors, to STAY OUT OF THE BIKE LANE, this is how to identify it, please always be aware. We have not had to visit a German hospital yet and we do not want to.

So, I am on the phone with Merissa, my parents and I are just outside the university, (where careless college students RACE to their classes), and suddenly all Merissa hears is me shouting "GET OUT OF THE BIKE LANE!" My father nearly gets hit. It was hilarious only after the fact of course.

This is the picture Gary almost got injured for.

We then met Merissa later at the Chinese Tower beer garden in the English Garden. Again, maß of beer, ginormous pretzels and the delicious obatzda cheese (mix of butter, camembert, onion and caraway seeds).


The end of a tiring, but good, day.

No comments: