Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Oktoberfest!!!!















*Sorry, I haven't figured out how to consolidate my pics, so they are just in one long line. I'm new at this, ok!

Well, it's here, the biggest beer drinking festival in the world! And Merissa and I went opening day--big mistake. No, it wasn't THAT bad, but it was really, really crowded, and the energy there was infectious.

It was cloudy and cold on Saturday, but nevertheless, we donned our dirndls and followed the masses to the Wiesen (the field/meadow). First, there was the opening ceremonies which included a huge parade/processional from one of the city center's main streets to the Wiesen. All of the major breweries had their own "float" (a decorated wagon carrying barrels) and ladies drinking. There was also many little oompa bands along the way. You can see from the pictures how we could barely see any of it thanks to the crowd of people.

We then decided to brave it and push our way into one of the tents for the tapping of the first barrel. We made it into the Paulaner tent and saw them hammer (using a mallet) into the barrel and tap the first drink. Then everyone all together says something in German and everyone who has a drink, does! The women (and men) serving the beer were unbelieveable! Not only were they carrying at least 6 steins at a time, they commanded the mosh pit-like area. I had to calm myself down to not become overwhelmed with the feeling of claustrophobia. Next, we pushed and shoved our way out of the tent and got lunch--a half meter sized sausage. Nice.

This place is crazy, it's like Vegas and the Santa Cruz County Fair had a love child. There are carnival rides, an agricultural section, and beer, beer, beer. Within a few hours of opening we saw a fight, one guy literally get THROWN out of a tent, and 4 separate piles of vomit. One girl in a lovely dirndl actually gave us a show of her retching. What an experience!!

Inside the tents, people actually stand and dance atop the benches, singing and drinking in unison. Wow. These are Germans? For being such hard workers they really know how to let loose. There is also a picture of me holding a 10 euro bill which I found on the ground, yay me! That's almost 15 USD, by the way.

Nate, you are SO bummed you are not here now. I plan on going back sometime in the next week, I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, Prost!!

3 comments:

The Pfefferkorns said...

you guys look so great in your outfits. i love it!
And my that is one big sausage ; )
Looks like you had fun. Have you been told to always cheers your drink and make eye contact when you clink glasses? My german sister in law told me if there is no eye contact, there are years of bad sex......hee hee

The Yorks said...

thanks! I think we look like members of the Von Trapp family. Yes, one of the first things we learned about the beer drinking, was the eye contact, everyone takes it very seriously here. :)

Anonymous said...

I saw Nate Sunday! But I wish I would see him in those German pants and clothing in these photos.