Monday, September 8, 2008

Andechs Monastery Hike and Biergarten





This past Saturday we hiked to a 600 year old Monastery outside of central Munich.  Of course I was a little wary of a 3 mile hike uphill (I am a total wuss), but it turned out fine.  Having a biergarten and a point of interest at the top always helps too.  Nathan was particularly motivated by a doppelbock brew they had at the Monastery.  

The hike first took us through some neighborhoods, but shortly thereafter, we were hiking on this very old dirt trail with ancient stone markers.  I couldn't help but think about monks travelling this very trail 500 years earlier--and tripping on all the tree roots because they were possibly tipsy.  On our way back we met some sheep that had unusually long tails.  They were cute though!  

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Whenever I hear hiking stories from you the only thing that comes to mind is your quote: "this is NOT a honeymoon hike!!!!!"
It sounds like you are having fun! Good chatting with you the other day. Can't wait to read more updates.

The Yorks said...

So true, Nik! Did you notice my expression in the first picture? Nate's beaming and I look like I'm plotting something to do to him for taking me on this thing. Ha ha. Thanks for commenting!!