Saturday, September 6, 2008

Cooking our first Bavarian Meal



For our first Bavarian meal we cooked Leberkäse (the meat loaf), warm potato salad, and a green salad.  The potato salad was great, lots of bacon and tangy vinegar.  

The leberkase always looks a little scary, especially when raw (the picture above is it cooked, so believe it or not, it actually can look worse).  I baked it for almost 2 hours in the convection oven and when it came out I noticed that it looked a little shiny.  "Shiny?" you ask.  We know I'm not the best cook, but how in the world do I make meat shiny?  Well, apparently there was a thin plastic film I had forgotten to remove........oops.  It was really hard to see in the whipped, pink, raw flesh!  Well, now I know.  I removed it, cooked it a bit longer and it was fine.

Honestly though, it really does not taste that bad.  It's quite good with sweet mustard and a stein of lager.  Yes.  Beer make good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey guys. Very happy to see someone I know from Santa Cruz over here. We have been here since March and live out in Zorneding. Shoot me an email if you want to get together sometime.

Danny Paz
paz.danny@gmail.com

big hair betty said...

I love meat loaf! And it goes great with mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts (cooked in bacon of course!). How did that plastic taste??