Friday, September 19, 2008

League of Accidental Hausfrauen

Nathan left for home today. Without me. I am admitting that I have the full effects of culture shock at this point. Actually, I think I hit rock bottom this past Tuesday. I am past the first stage of euphoria and seeing everything with a romantic eye, "I'm living abroad! I don't have to work for a whole year! I can travel to amazing historical places within a few hours!" I've now crashed into stage 2: frustration, confusion, irritability and resentment. Great. Fan-freakin'-tastic. The good news is that it only gets better from here. And it will.

Today I had brunch with the League of Accidental Hausfrauen; a group of English-speaking ladies that have found themselves in a situation similar to mine. Although I must say I felt a bit babyish compared to the ones I spoke with. These women are world travellers! Most speak at least 1 other language and have married a German, Italian, Peruvian, whatever. I, on the other hand, was born and raised in Santa Cruz, got married and stayed there. Oh well, different strokes I guess.

Anyways, the ladies were all very sweet, welcoming and friendly. I plan on attending other events. Maybe I'll even make some lasting friendships....

5 comments:

The Myatt-Paul's said...

I'm so glad that you have found the League, it's good to have support from people who are in a similar situation. Look up, it will get better! And we are still planning on visiting! Miss you!

Ali said...

Yay, accidental hausfrauen! just the name is cool. and yay for you for braving a new group by yourself... thats tough! i'm sure you will find some great friends there:) i keep meaning to call you back but by the time i'm thinking about calling you, it's too late! doh! and you MUST post pics of you in a dirndl. and eventually, nate in some leiderhosen. live it up! love you!

The Pfefferkorns said...

so proud of you for going to that meeting. I can only imagine how weird,exciting,uncomfortable and fun it must have been to meet all those ladies.
Hang in there Shera! HAve you thought about volunteering anywhere to pick up the language more and meet folks??

The Yorks said...

Thanks for your encouragement girls! Those of you that truly know me, know that going to that meeting was REALLY difficult. I was so nervous! But it paid off, I already have plans this coming week with two new friends! And one is helping me get into a language class, yay! I'll keep you updated on that too, tschüss!

kellyd said...

good for you for finding a group! saw your husband at church today, and it really made me miss you!