Saturday, May 30, 2009

Lederhosen and Dirndls


We finally purchased our ultimate souvenir: a pair of Lederhosen for Nate and a dirndl for me! These outfits are the "traditional" clothing of Bavaria. I put traditional in quotes because styles have evolved over time, especially the dirndls.

Way back in the day, these dresses were very conservative; down to your ankles with absolutely no skin showing below the neck. Of course now it looks a bit more bar wench-like, which is perfectly valid too, that IS what they are, serving liter after liter of beer. I am wearing a definite summer style dirndl, in both length and colors. Merissa's is a bit more traditional with the longer skirt and muted pattern. Technically we are supposed to wear them with hiking boots, but it just looks so much cuter with flats!

Nate's lederhosen (which translates to "leather pants"), are very traditional. I don't think the men's outfits have changed much in the past 50+ years. I could be wrong though. He also has a relatively summery set, not the long winter pants (or the short shorts either!), but rather the 3/4 length.

So, what do we wear them to in Santa Cruz? I believe the Tyrolean Inn in Ben Lomond has an Oktoberfest each year, so we'll certainly have to make an appearance and enjoy the only local German/Austrian food in the area. Perhaps they'll also make good Halloween outfits, we'll see. Any other suggestions? Enjoy our little photo shoot!










Uh-oh. Whole-lotta kissin' goin' on!



I swear my butt is not that big! Is it? No, it must be the petticoats and pleats............




This dog appeared out of nowhere and decided to do it's business in our general vicinity.



Being silly (not sure if you noticed, and I can't believe I'm actually asking you to look closer at my husband's crotch, but there is actually a flap that buttons down so that men, while stupid drunk, can relieve themselves quickly).



Walking home.




4 comments:

Emily said...

SO CUTE!!! Thanks for sharing the pics. They're such fun. My mom was German, so we used to go to the Tyrolean Inn for her birthday dinner every year. Yum! That will be the perfect place to wear them!

The Pfefferkorns said...

Sydney thinks merissa looks like snow white. She really loved looking at these pictures. she also said that mommy is much smaller than that daddy.

The Yorks said...

I can't breathe I'm laughing so hard! Hahahaha! Those comments are priceless. Ah, the mouths of babes. I wonder what our kids will say about us vs. others! Yikes!

kellyd said...

ha! i love the flat bottom flap thing! so stupid drunk men can relieve themselves! so funny! cute kissy pics too!