Thursday, October 23, 2008

2 steps forward, 1 step back


I think I made an appointment today over the phone.

I needed to make a doctor's appointment, so of course first I researched with our insurance company...yes this doctor takes our insurance...yes they speak fluent English, ok good.

I tried calling yesterday with Merissa around in case I needed to have her translate with the receptionist. She taught me a few phrases to use in case they didn't speak English, yet reassured me that they probably do anyway and I really shouldn't worry. Unfortunately they are closed on Wednesdays.

Fast forward to this morning, I had had an extra cup of coffee and blame that for my heightened confidence. I called again. Alone. Mer and Nate had gone to work, and I shortly regretted making the call.

Sprechen Sie Englisch? Nein, nein.

Oh crap. Now the rest is in German, but I'll just tell you in English. The words in italics were words in which I used English because I didn't know the German word.

"Do you speak German?'
"A little. Uh, yes, I'd like to make an appointment with one of the doctors"
"Do you have ----------?" (I have no idea what she said, I'm sweating and panicking at this point)
"What?"
"Do you have -------?"
"Uh, what is that word?"
"12:00 Monday 27?"
"Yes, ok, good."
"Name?"
"Shera York" (I spell it)
"Telephone number?" (and I gave it to her)

And that was it. But no confirmation or anything, just the end. Then I hung up, cried and called Nate. My poor husband. Always calming me down.

I think I have to go find this place tomorrow and see what transpired in that telephone "conversation". I will not be calling to make appointments for a while though. I'm going to walk into these places and employ facial expressions, hand gestures and other non verbal communication to my benefit. Learned my lesson.

1 comment:

Matt Smith said...

Use diagrams, or draw them there. Stick figures with red circles around the infected region. "Se me duelen mis ojos con las cebollas."