Saturday, June 12, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes

As a (former) kindergarten teacher, I've come across some pretty funny quotes from students of mine. I even have a document where I'm saving them all in hopes of writing a short book one day. This little conversation, though not from one of my kindergarten classes, is rather humorous.

On our way up to a wedding this weekend, Nathan and I stopped at an In N Out Burger for lunch. At the end of our meal I went to the restroom. All the stalls were being used so I waited my turn. As one of the doors unlocked a mother and her young son, perhaps 3 or 4 stepped out. The little boy looked me up and down over and over again, and as I went into the stall and locked the door I heard this conversation:

Boy: Mommy, why is that lady's tummy so big?
Mom: She has a baby in her tummy.
Boy: But, where is the baby?
Mom: It's inside her tummy growing, just like you were. You were in mommy's tummy when you were real little too.
Boy: But how did the baby get there?
Mom: (in a hurried voice) Let's wash your hands honey.

Ah. Children. How I love their innocent wonder of the world. Too funny. Nathan says I should have shouted "I'm not pregnant!" but it's just a little too obvious at this point.

No comments: