Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Being "Back"

It's been just about a month since we've been living here in Santa Cruz County again, and it feels.....fine.....and strange.

Relatively few things have changed in the course of a year (and really a year is NOTHING!), and yet, everything has changed. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? We have a new president, laws and government systems are transforming (which, I know they always do, but for some reason it feels as though it's actually affecting our day to day lives), highway 1 was remodeled, my daily duties have changed, Nate's work responsibilities have changed, our family changed, our house has changed, WE'VE changed. Perhaps this is the most profound. And I must ask, what happened to my beloved Longs Drugs??? Seriously California, we leave you alone for 1 year and you let an evil east coast company take over? I am disappointed. So very disappointed. Thankfully, some things are still the same: Safeway is still open 24 hours (yes! I can grocery shop whenever I want to), the bagelry still has guacamole and egg salad spreads, and sunny fall days are plentiful here on the central coast.



Being back in this culture also requires, (well, this term is debatable), some new things which we have learned to live without this past year.

1. A second car - we didn't even need one in Munich, and we're getting by just fine with one right now, as long as I'm not working and the weather is nice. Come cold, wet and rainy winter though, I'm not sure if Nathan will be down for riding his bike to the carpool bus. (And as I edit this, we have recently purchased a red Toyota Highlander. I know, I know....)


2. cell phones - this has been perhaps the most liberating and frustrating one of the bunch. No, you can't reach me whenever - I'm free. But that also means I'm stuck sometimes unable to communicate.


3. clutter - I used to be so afraid to get rid of things. Clothes, furniture, papers, STUFF! It's not that scary. It's liberating.

4. Haas Avocados. Yes. They are required!!

Hmm, guess that's it. Thought there was more. Have you noticed that I'm into lists lately? Next post will be (although shamefully tardy) about my friend Amy's visit with us in Munich and Vienna.

No comments: