Friday, January 16, 2009

January

Ah, January. What to do? It's below freezing outside daily, shopping is wearing thin and no one visits until March. Conditions are perfect for museums!

I intend to visit as many museums as this city has to offer! Well, at least as many as I can get to. And I will filter out the junk and take you to only the coolest.

Today I went with my friend Emily to the Alte Pinokothek, an art museum that is like Munich's version of the Lourve.
It contains many Rubens, at least one Da Vinci and other German and Flemish painters. I suppose in that last sentence I just gave away that I do not know that much about art. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it and enjoy myself at the museum!

Unfortunately, flash photography was not allowed so many of my pictures came out blurry. So, these are the ones that made the cut. Please do not ask me the names of the artists or the title of the painting. They were just ones I found interesting.








There was of course a LOT of religious art, that's a given. But it was even more fun when I recognized the story and got to share with my friend Emily. I explained the biblical stories and she identified and explained the Greek and Roman mythology ones. We were a great team making the experience all the more enjoyable.

This last picture was surprising. Apparently it's quite normal for artists to come into huge museums and practice their art! My friend Ella from NYC said that there are always classes and artists at the Metropolitan Museum. Call me a little slow, but I had never thought of that before. Anyway, it was cool to see it in process. Hope I didn't disturb the guy.



Stay tuned for more museums in Munich!

1 comment:

Ryan & Emily said...

i have to say this is my favorite post so far, i can't be there, but thanks to your pictures i get to see all that great, amazing art. thank you!!!