Thursday, December 4, 2008

Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market)

Merissa, my friend Emily and I took a little trip a few days ago to the world-famous Nuernberg Christmas Market. It was really magical and beautiful. And cold!!

There were so many little crafts and goodies, it draws people from all over the world. In fact I even met some Americans from Lake Tahoe. Of course all the American tourists were older, retired ladies and couples shopping for their grandkids and home decorations. But it was fun to chat.

Basically we oohed and ahhhed over the finely detailed ornaments, shopped a bit, snacked on roasted nuts (they actually have roasted chestnuts here! But in the picture we're eating sugared almonds), and drank Glühwein (mulled wine).


In the Christmas Market you can find gingerbread houses (do you see Hansel and Gretel and the witch?), plum people, these little figurines they make out of dried plums, Lebkuchen, and smoking candles, with their mouths open wide. The gingerbread heart literally translates to "My little sweet witch". What girlfriend or wife would want that?? Getting a little too close for comfort.....haha.
There are Christmas markets all over, so this will not be the last one, just the biggest and most famous. Who wants to join me when we're 60+ for shopping in Nuernburg around Christmas?


PS - did you notice that I finally figured out my page setup? I've been using mr. computer genius as a crutch for way too long.

3 comments:

The Pfefferkorns said...

Does anyone over there cut down a perfectly good tree and put it in a pot of water in their house? We did this week. Smells excellent. Very strange tradition.

I am jealous that almost every post involves beer and sausage. My homeland is calling to me.
nate

The Yorks said...

Over here, they seem to cut down only the ugly trees, skinny, sparse, Charlie Brown-like.

big hair betty said...

That market is SO COOL!! I would LOVE to be there!!