Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Schneckenburgerstrasse

So, we move into our new flat tomorrow.  I'll post some pictures as soon as I can take them.  We are living in Haidhausen which is a little neighborhood in eastern Munich.  As you may or may not have noticed, German words are like English sentences without spaces, they are so loooong!  Our street name is one of those, and it's awesome.  We will be living on Schneckenburgerstrasse.  Schnecken. Burger.  Strasse.  It's just fun to say and it's one of the few German words I have down.

I think I will be the most excited about this new place.  To be perfectly honest, it's been a difficult week for me.  I am experiencing culture shock and tend to get lonely during the day while Nate's at work.  There is no one to really talk to, except the few homeless people who ask for money, and would you believe it, they can even do it in English--and eloquently to boot. Good thing I'm from Santa Cruz and am used to it.  

But with the flat, a place to call "home", I can finally stop living out of my suitcase, my belongings will be delivered (including the all important bikes) and I can go grocery shopping, thus making me feel more independent.  

I think I need to go to a biergarten, order a mass,  and do what the Bavarians call "guanteln"--a tradition of mumbling complaints about anything and everything into your beer.  Actually, one of our first days here, Nathan and I had lunch in Viktualienmarkt's biergarten, and there was some old man shouting in German.  At first I thought he was drunk (probably right on the money there), and yelling at someone in particular, but nobody seemed to care and he just went right on cursing.  Entertaining actually. 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yeah, when living in a new place, having a "home" is important--it lets you have a place to just be you... which is important for adjusting! (At least in my Mongolia experience it was.) How's the grocery shopping for you? I have no idea what it's like in Germany, but in MGL, it had potential to be a challenge.